Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Adultesence: Analysis

Season 1, Episode 5: Adultesence

Analysis

What makes you an adult? Is it when you reach a certain age - and can legally do specific things? Is it when, as in some religions, you undertake a kind of rite of passage? Or is being an adult, a grown up, simply about acting in a grown up way?

It's the main idea behind this episode, with Erica considering the idea of growing up and all it entails. We also get to see two very different grown-ups, in the form of her two best friends - Judith and Jenny.

One is the mother-to-be, making a calculated decision with her head, rather than her heart, when it comes to deciding who will be her first born's godmother. In the end, she overlooks Erica - which is the catalyst for her re-living of another regret.

The other, Jenny, is almost the very antithesis. She criticises Judith's insensitivity and compares to her a computer. She openly admits to sleeping around, likes her drink, nights out, risque baby clothing, and generally having fun.

In the middle is Erica, caught between trying to show she is responsible and mature, but also taking out her anger through karaoke, drink, and poker.

It's a great contrast which does add to the spice of the show - and particularly this episode - where we are left to consider just who Erica is more alike, Judith or Jenny?

I can certainly empathise with her opening thoughts. That nightmare scenario in the baby store where you know you're the odd one out. You feel like you're surrounded by so much more experienced and mature people, and you're struggling to hold on their coat tails.

I have the same feeling. I have no idea how to contribute when a conversation turns to mortgages or some of the serious financial things in life via the experiences of work that friends have had. I can't contribute, it's as simple as that.

Some of them also have young nieces and nephews - children who they will babysit, or at least kids whose life they have a part in, kids who look up to them, and who they must set a good example for.

Quite frankly, the idea of having such responsibility freaks me out. I'm not ready to be an uncle at my age. Some of them are in long-term relationships and either are, or have been, engaged to partners. That kind of commitment from me? Forget about it.

I do often wonder what said partners must make of their friend, the one who has so much going for him but can't get his life together. Have I no self respect? Am I the sort of person their potential future husband really wants to hang around with?

Not for the first time, I find myself in Erica's boat. Presumably the one with the single oar Dr. Tom refers to later on during her time travelling.

As I've said elsewhere, this was actually the first episode of Being Erica I ever saw - tuning in about the time Dr. Tom explains that rowing boat analogy.

I've never quite understood why the young Erica has ginger hair, as Erin's is clearly brown. I have to admit, had grown-up Erica been ginger, I'm not sure I would have continued watching. She'd have been much less attractive. I apologise, but it's just the way I feel.

Before she is transported back though, we have the baby shower - with Erica playing host. Playing host to anything and the responsibility it carries is another thing I wouldn't even dream of doing.

Besides, I'm a much better guest than I ever would be host. I'm polite and courteous. I help out whenever I can, and I can sit in the corner and make jokes and sarcastic comments. Hosting skills? Not here.

Of course, Erica enters the shower thinking she is going to be godmother only to find out otherwise. Leaving aside whether it was the right or wrong decision, it was an awful way for her to find out.

One thing I can't quite understand though is why, when Jenny pretends to faint, Sam - who we know is medically trained - doesn't go and check if she's all right? Instead, Erica hands her the cake and takes it upon herself. Guess that would have ruined Jenny's little plan.

Not being godmother is a crushing blow to Erica - who believed it was a decision based upon Judith recognising she was moving forward in life. This naturally leads to her doubting herself and whether that's truly the case.

Step in Dr. Tom - who had already appeared in a humorous scene borrowing a very girly pregnancy book - and a trip back for Erica to her Bat Mitzvah. I have to confess, I'm not Jewish, and I've forgotten the majority of the little I was taught in high school about Judaism.

I know what a Bat/Bar Mitzvah is, but not exactly what happens. So watching, as well as researching them, has taught me a little bit about the religion and its customs. Indeed, it plays a part in future episodes too, as I will discuss at a later date.

Of course, Dr. Tom insists that Erica goes back and has to read the Torah, giving her her obligatory awkward transition back. He then turns up later as the barman, and there's a nice touch when he tells Erica's dad he will "keep an eye on her." That's exactly what he has been doing for the last few weeks.

I guess their doctor-patient relationship takes on an added dimension with her being a kid and him an adult. He might often be facetious and in an inappropriately cheery mode whenever she steps into his office but, when she really him, Dr. Tom is always there for her.

Also there, again, is Leo. It's difficult to underestimate the emotion in every scene between Erica and her brother. Take a look who makes her well-up the most during the candle lighting ceremony - it's her big brother.

Before that, Erica has once again ran out of the party due to her mom's harsh words on, what she doesn't realise, is Erica's present day existence. Makes you think, with all the reassurances her mom gives her, how much of what parents say to us as kids are lies just to comfort us.

That conversation, which so nearly was "the chat," also made me think of all the different jobs and careers I aspired to as a kid. Those misplaced dreams of being an artist so cruelly dashed when I realised I had zero artistic ability...

In the end, Erica is transported back to the present day realising that, essentially, it is how we act which makes us grown up, nothing else. Which often means admitting we are wrong, swallowing our pride, and being the bigger person - all of which she has to do as she reconciles with an annoyed Judith.

It would be remiss of me in analysing Episode 5 not to mention that this is the beginning of Erica's very own love triangle.

On one side there's Ethan, who drops the bombshell that he's going back to Montreal to talk to Claire. On the other, there's Ryan. Erica is clearly smitten with him, and vice versa, and they hit if off very quickly.

However, it's clear to see from their moment touching hands on the high chair, as well as their conversation on his return, that Ethan and Erica definitely have strong feelings for one another.

Confusing feelings though, and ones which aren't going to go away, as much as they suppress them - or indeed try and replace them. I'll go into more discussion on Ryan in future reviews - but I will lay my cards on the table immediately and say I don't like the character.

He's too perfect - he's got the looks, he works out, he's got a great job and loads of money, he's funny, and we discover soon he can even cook too. Seriously, it's too much. Not for Erica though - which means things are about to get interesting. Let the tension begin.

No comments:

Post a Comment