Saturday, March 05, 2011

Cultural Revolution: Analysis

Season 2, Episode 4: Cultural Revolution

Analysis

In Series 1, Episode 5, we were given the chance to see the huge difference between Erica's two best friends, Judith and Jenny. The beginning of Season 2 allows us to do the same.

After the previous episode focusing on Erica's struggles to maintain proper contact with Judith, we're now given another chance to examine the dynamic of her friendship with Jenny.

I think I've said before that the pair balance Erica out very well. If Erica is the 'wacky aunt' in Judith's eyes, then she is, according to Jenny, like "her Nana."

This episode is focused on risks. Now, I have to admit, like Erica, I'm terrible for not taking risks. It's just not in my nature. I am a 'play it safe' kind of guy. I analyse everything before I do something, thinking about the consequences before acting.

Sometimes it's a good thing, being sensible and pragmatic rather than risky and adventurous. However, as Erica muses, you can't help but wonder about all the things you're potentially missing out on by being safe and not taking chances.

Overall, this is another excellent episode, typical of Season 2 in how it pushes the boundaries - taking Erica to a whole different country and culture in her, this time, making the trip with Jenny to Taipei.

Now travelling is something I guess all young folk like to do. It's not something I've had the opportunity to do myself, although I'd like to. It's not like I've ever passed up the opportunity, but nor have I ever really actively made an effort to do it.

It leads to a fun time travel, albeit I'm afraid I am going to have to have a very rare rant at the writers. This episode is almost spoiled by the inclusion of the incredibly annoying supposed-Brit Laurie.

Now, my biggest annoyance with TV from across the pond is the terrible English accents that some actors try and put on. I'm afraid to say that Laurie's was poor. No way in a million years would she pass for being from the UK.

However, she wasn't helped by the fact the writers decided to make her from Bristol, a city with one of the most discernible and unique accents in England. She sounded nothing like a Bristolian, and I found her generally irritating.

Thankfully, the writers don't make too many errors, so I'll let them off. How about actually hiring a British actor or actress if they want a character from this part of the world though?

Having said that, it's not like I could tell the difference between a Canadian and a American accent for example, so viewers across the Atlantic probably couldn't tell Laurie wasn't a natural Brit.

For me, this episode probably has the funniest introduction - with Erica and Ethan's attempt to be spontaneous in sex ending up with him being kneed in the groin and her stepping barefoot on glass. Very amusing.

Things are certainly spicing up at River Rock too, with Brent's plotting against Julianne being discussed with Galvin. Notice how keen he was to absolve Erica from any blame involving Julianne's impulsive decision to get her to write "the sex book."

That was even after she had changed her mind and dashed his hopes of taking over Erica's portfolio. It shows that Brent is a good friend and does care about Erica.

In truth, it was typical Julianne really - not helped by the encouragement of the typically barmy Friedkin - rushing into something on a whim without really thinking about it. You could tell Erica wasn't keen on the idea, even after saying yes.

Of course, her mind is helped made up by the intervention of Dr. Tom, on fine form as the backpacker eating "stinky tofu." We also once again see his pain over his daughter and the regrets she once took - a recurring theme during Season 2 before inevitably being confronted.

The Taipei experience was great viewing, albeit only on TV could people try and get off paying a bar bill, and then get to live somewhere for free off the back of a poor Celine Dion impression. Incidentally, Erica the spitting image of her? Sorry, but Erin is far better looking.

Difficult not to dislike Kendrick. Maybe it's because I'm just not a trusting person in life, but I'm always suspicious of overly-generous people. If something is too good to be true, then it usually is.

Erica has to wrestle with her trying to take risks and enjoy herself with her commitment to the ESL class she is teaching - including the funny scene where she tries to keep them calm only be karate chopped.

Eventually, Kendrick's behaviour makes her mind up for her, and her principles and responsibility outweigh her desire for taking a chance and just enjoying things. Which is where she differs so much from Jenny.

I guess because of how I am, I'm naturally going to take Erica's side on the whole idea of taking risks. Of course, it leads to a typical emotional confrontation with Jenny at the end of the episode as she tries to make her see how moving to LA with Rob isn't the best idea.

It's similar to how she confessed her worries to Sam over her wedding, after being encouraged by Dr. Tom to do so. I don't doubt Erica was always a fine friend who would always be honest, but I like to think this is the work of Dr. Tom once again permeating through her actions.

I especially liked the truthfulness of the closing line, too. So many of our decisions have an element of chance and risk about them. The important thing is to decide how to respond to them based upon your own feelings, not to be goaded or influenced by others.

After all, you're the one who has to live with the consequences of the risks you take. Speaking of consequences...

No comments:

Post a Comment